Monday, July 20, 2015

Hot weather, bathing horses, and picking your battles

It was pretty hot this weekend and I had some other things going on so I didn't ride but decided it would be great weather for bathing the horses and dogs. I don't have a wash stall or even a hitching post (not that my horses would stand in either of those anyway) so I have to hold the horse with one hand and bathe with the other...hilarity often ensues.
All 3 dogs and Frosty did great for the baths and Speck decided to have a mild meltdown over the hose during his. This was partially my fault as I have not been handling the horses as regularly as I should and they get a bit wild if all I do with them is chuck feed over the fence and clean their paddock (duh). After a bit of impromptu "groundwork" Speck got over himself and stood fine for the rest of his bath.

Hose...or horse eating demon viper?
This whole exchange got me thinking about one of the perks of having horses at home, I get to pick my battles regarding their behavior. I don't have anyone over my shoulder telling me which behaviors I should be correcting. 

Things my horses get away with: 
Not cross tying- I don't have a place for cross-ties anyway, I just use a rope and a blocker tie ring 
Hating the clippers- I hate clipping also, stay hairy my friends! 
Hating their manes pulled-Speck's breed standard is a long mane so I leave it alone!, I roached Frosty's so no need to pull hers either
Peeing where they want- I have seen people smack horses around for peeing in barn aiselways...why??? Throw some shavings or straw over the puddle and sweep it up, problem solved
Roaching mane=best idea ever
Things my horses don't get away with:
Pushiness or crowding on the ground-This is dangerous, I make sure they are aware of my "personal bubble" and reinforce this when I do groundwork
Obnoxious behavior for the vet or farrier-I don't want these people to hate working on my animals, they are professionals and I let them take the lead on getting the job done in a safe manner

And that is about it!, are there any areas where you pick your battles with your horse?



No comments:

Post a Comment