Thursday, December 15, 2016

Horse history

I've been doing the horse thing for 20? ish years now and thought it would be fun to share a few of the many horses who where such a big part of my life leading up to now!

Roo-Arabian x Saddlebred gelding, he was my first lease horse. This horse was a saint with the greatest temperament. I started leasing him when I was 14 and he was everything I could have wanted and more. He took me to my first dressage shows and eventually to compete at east coast championships.


Empress-Arabian mare, my second lease horse and first experience with a young horse. She was feisty and fun! I showed her in dressage and sporthorse under saddle and we even made it to sporthorse nationals! After I was done with showing we went on to compete in 25 and 50 mile endurance rides with great results. I had a best condition award on her at my first CTR and won the foxcatcher 25 mi endurance ride with her. 
Zaderr-Empress' half brother! I started working with him as a 3 year old, he is the only horse I ever showed western and we got first place! (I was the only person in the class).

Hanna-Arabian cross mare. I was no longer able to lease once I started college but luckily I had some great people in my life offer me rides so I was never without a horse! Hanna was the first of these. Another feisty mare, I worked with her for a good friend of mine. She had a grass riding ring shaded by trees next to a stream for me to ride in, so nice in the summer!

Ginger-Hackney x Clydesdale mare, my first non-Arabian or Arabian cross to work with! Owned by a friend of mine at work, she was an ex driving horse who loved road riding. The barn she was boarded at had miles of quiet roads surrounding it and I spent many hours with Ginger exploring on summer evenings.

The four in hand-3 Hackney x Clydestales and 1 TB x Clyde. Liz, George, Kate, and Maggie these were the biggest horses I had ever seen let alone ridden! I rode all of them but George and Maggie were my main rides. I went to paperchases, foxhunted and hacked all over Unionville horse country with them. An amazing team of spectacular movers and jumpers!

Lakota-TWH gelding, after moving to Tennessee I was sad to be horseless once again. Luckily I found Lakota about 6 months after I moved. I lived on the farm where he was boarded. This horse was SO comfortable to ride and I often rode him bareback with just a halter. 

Speck-Spotted saddle horse gelding, my first horse! Since I lived and worked on a farm I had the option to board for free! Speck was purchased for me by my husband and I kept him on self care board. I took him trail riding all over TN from the Smokies to the hill country of middle TN, he even foxhunted! Speck moved with me from TN to my farm in PA where the living situation did not suit him as well. Speck (now Cochise) moved on to a wonderful home with great people who have now become close friends of mine!

Frosty and Chester-My current partners! You can see more about them in the horses tab on the blog.





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Definitely a wide range of shapes, sizes, colors, and personalities!

      Delete