Thursday, June 11, 2015

Horses and working full time *summer edition*

I have horses at home and I work a full time job, plus some part time hours on the weekends to keep things interesting.

It's summer so the horse's routine is pretty simple. If it is very warm and the flies are out my horses come in in the morning and have hay and water set up in their stalls from the night before, if they are staying out I put their fly masks on for the day. John's horses get a few flakes of hay in their field and I check water before I leave for work. When I get home I feed grain and hay and turn my horses out if they are in. I clean stalls or the run in shed and set up stalls for the next day if needed I also check and fill water. Then there are usually extra chores such as weed whacking, mowing, or spraying weeds, or things to do in the house. If I am lucky I get time to groom my horses, if I am really lucky (and motivated) I get to ride.

Yesterday was one of those days when I was both lucky and motivated. The weather was excellent so John and I were able to enjoy a weekday ride at Spring Valley Park. I rode Speck, he did great and was super calm. He enjoyed some grazing along the trail and a drink from the creek. We even met some friendly and courteous cyclists (if only there were more like them!)


Sunset on the trail

My riding and horse goals have changed a lot over the past year with the horses moving home. From actively competing, then doing some training for others in college, to foxhunting and frequent trail rides. My goals for the horses now include providing the best care for them that I can and continuing to improve their environment. Even though I do ride a little less now than when I was boarding I feel I appreciate and enjoy my rides more. I also have learned to value simply spending time with my horses in the form of grooming or bathing or just getting to watch them eat for a few minutes in the morning or evening.

I just love his ears!


No comments:

Post a Comment