Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Coat color fun!

"A good horse is never a bad color"

The reason I titled my blog "Trail horses of a different color" is because I am lucky to have four horses in my life that are good horses and have great coloring. I love horses with unique markings and interesting coloration, so I thought I would share the four horses on my blog today!

Speck (grey paint): 


Photo by Kit Abeldt 
Speck is SO unique, many people think he is just grey but when you look closely he is actually a paint. He has black skin under the darker grey and pink skin under the white areas. He also has four white stockings and a black streak in his mane. His color shows up more in the summer when he has a shorter coat and is most obvious when he is wet and you can see the color of his skin through his coat (I need to take a picture of this). I have seen very few horses with Speck's coloration, he really is one of a kind!

Frosty (bay roan):


Frosty is a bay roan, and one of the nicest examples of this coat color I have seen. She has lots of white "ticking" over her back and sides and a nice bold bay color everywhere else. Her roan pattern really shows up when she has her winter coat. She has a steel grey mane and her tail is white at the top with white streaks throughout. She has four white socks and a small star. 

Winchester "Winnie" (grey) and Dakota Dude "Nuppy"(bay): 

Photo by Gifford Studios


These two are John's horses and are PMU babies out of South Dakota. Winnie is a rose grey, he was a buckskin when brought home as a baby and has turned grey over the years, he is actually even a bit lighter now than in these photos! Nuppy is a bay with a narrow stripe and 2 white hind socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment