Thursday, July 14, 2016

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you"

“It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you see what I mean.” 


I have not written anything in months because I have not done anything with horses in forever between various issues and travelling for work/general exhaustion. However, despite not being very active with riding life on and around the farm has not slowed down!

Hay:
John's field produced a bumper crop of nice quality 1st cutting grass hay this year. We also purchased four round bales of 1st alfalfa from our neighbor. I am so thankful for John's awesome friends who can drive a flatbed trailer because it means I don't have to! I am also thankful for our skid steer and tractor which give us the ability to handle all our hay in big squares or rounds...no stacking little bales!



Fence:
I now have an official fenced paddock in my field! I was using temporary fence (which looked a mess) for the past two winters to split the field but now have post and rail fencing. The posts were pounded/drilled by evergreen fence and John and I (mostly John) put the rails/boards up. 


No more ugly fence!

 Dogs: 
Minimal riding means maximum walking with Roxy, Frankie, and Bliss! We have been to our usual rail-trail, the county park a few times, and even a different rail trail in Maryland. Frankie and Roxy especially seem to have boundless energy and even the longest walks don't make them tired...I wish I knew their secret! Bird hunting season is coming and I need to get my new hunting license and do more training with Frankie so he is ready to hunt pheasants at the preserve (possibly gamelands as well). Frankie is working on:
Whoa training, thinking of trying the place boards again
Drinking water from a squeeze bottle
Continued e-collar conditioning
Will attend a refresher training session at the preserve before season begins




Food: 
I love food (obv.) and love going to places with outdoor seating in the summer, so I have been doing a lot of that. This photo is from one of my favorite restaurant patios!


No comments:

Post a Comment