Thursday, May 12, 2016

Burning daylight-Spring updates

Maryland Hunt Cup 4/30-One of the nice things about living where I do is access to several Steeplechases and horse events reasonably close. This was my first time going to Maryland Hunt cup and I will definitely continue to go back (although will probably pay for the nicer parking next time!). The weather was ok and the race was great! The finish came down to last year's winner (Guts for Garters) and the horse which held a big lead for most of the race (Senior Senator), Senior Senator won!
 Dubarry boots and my awesome seat for the race on top of the big hill! 
Chester trail work-Chester has been going trail riding at Spring Valley Park about once a week as the weather allows, he has been crossing water and other obstacles very well and has been working on his balance/self carriage up and down hills. We have also had him out in a group of 4. I should probably be doing more with him...but I don't think he cares either way. 


Frosty Gettysburg trip 5/8-I finally made it to Gettysburg after wanting to go for 2 years! The park was great, it was a super windy day, I am glad I did not forget my running martingale. We probably would have been better off getting an earlier start as traffic was getting crazy by the time we headed out and the trailer parking area was really tight! I also ride Frosty at home on the farm.


Running martingale FTW
Farm stuff-Even though we have had approximately zero warm weather there has been plenty to do, I am back to weed whacking and spraying weekly and the mowing has kept John busy as well. One of the barn doors has broken hinges from a wind storm over the winter so we have a builder coming to estimate the cost of putting sliding doors on ($$). I got a 24 ton load of screenings (happy bday to me!) and re-surfaced the stall floors, I still need to re-surface my run in shed as well. Figuring out the best rotational grazing schedule for my small-ish pasture/paddock has also been an ongoing project as well as finding time to take the dogs for a nightly run (the dogs run, I don't). Thank goodness for more daylight!
    


2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to ride at Gettysburg. It sounds like a cool place and so much history to see as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty cool! I meant to get more pictures of historical and interesting stuff but the 30+mph wind did not encourage my horse to stand still for picture taking :)

      Delete