Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The natives are restless

I'm not sure if it is from lack of riding or because Spring decided to bust loose seemingly overnight this week but my horses have been slightly more...batshit?...than usual.
Also John's horses have been on a reign of general destruction and have done in two blankets and one hay feeder in the last month.
I went out to feed before work yesterday morning and found Frosty leaping around the field like an antelope. When I turned Chester out he started playing up as well, bouncing up and down in one place and squealing...whatever dude.
Accurate depiction of current horse behavior
When I got home from work and went to start evening feeding I saw this:
Dinosaur murder birds
Probably the  biggest flock of wild turkeys I have seen on the property to date! They then decided to fly up into the trees behind my horse pasture...the horses are big fans of this, except not really. It seemed to get dark faster than usual last night and was pitch black out by the time I finished feeding and chores...cue freaky fox/coyote sounds from the woods. At this point I was freaked out enough and went and hid in the house until John got home...only to be woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of more freaky coyotes/foxes that were right outside the bedroom window.



Horses have their check ups/vaccines today...hoping this all settles down a bit...but the Spring like weather can stick around :)




3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of turkeys. And it just must be that time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy turkeys! Apollo has the spring fever right now...which is super annoying because I'm trying to slowly bring him back into light work and he's like "WEEEEE! GALLOP!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rode Frosty yesterday and she was actually pretty good, we didn't do much because it was 75 degrees and she has a full winter coat, time to break out the shedding blade!

      Delete