Monday, October 24, 2016

Fun Halloween post: horse superstitions and wive's tales

I have always loved myths and stories about horses. In honor of Halloween here is a small list of some of my favorite horse superstitions and wive's tales. I'd love for this to become a blog hop of sorts, feel free to post along if you know any good ones!:

Picture from Dana's Doodles
1. Horses with the prophet's thumbprint (indentation on side of neck) are fast/lucky

2. Never wear anything new to horse shows or out hunting

3. It is bad luck to change a horse's name

4. All chestnuts/sorrels are hot

5. The luckiest horseshoes are from the hind feet of a gray mare
This is a grey gelding but whatever
6. Hair whorls on a horse's face can predict personality traits (detailed article here)

7. A horse is worth $100 for every time it can roll completely over

8. A promise made on horseback can not be violated


9. Wind knots that form in horses' manes overnight are created by pixies/fairies

10.Untangling a horse's mane with your fingers instead of a comb is good luck


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is somewhat accurate for my husband's horses but not at all for mine lol!

      Delete
  2. These are neat! Some I've heard of, some not. I have changed horses names before.. and got some flack for it (Apollo's name used to be Booger.... D: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would change that name too lol! Apollo suits him much better!

      Delete
  3. I haven't ever heard of a few of these, cool list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had not heard a few of these either until I started searching!

      Delete